Filing an Extension

If you are in need of more time to file your federal tax return, the IRS provides a form that will allow you to do so for the current calendar year until:

  • September 15 for corporations, partnerships, LLCs, Series LLCs, LLPs
  • September 30 for trusts
  • October 17 for personal income tax and Foreign Bank Account Information Reporting (FBAR)
  • November 15 for not-for-profit organizations

However, please be aware than an extension of time-to-file is not an extension of time-to-pay any tax due, it simply extends the amount of time to file you return. To avoid interest and penalties, the full amount of tax must be paid through withholding or timely estimated tax payments.

In addition, if you are not able to file your federal individual income tax return by the due date, you may be able to get an automatic 6-month extension of time to file. Keep in mind that special rules may apply if you are living outside the United States or out of the country when your 6-month extension expires or are serving in a combat zone or a qualified hazardous duty area.

For more information, please contact our office.