Tip Income

I thought an interesting topic on this Friday night would be to touch on the issue of the taxation of tip income. If you are working tonight you are probably working in the restaurant industry and if you are eating at a restaurant, you can share this with your server! If your pay from your job includes tips, you should keep in mind a few important reminders about tip income:

  • Tips are taxable. Individuals must pay  federal income tax on any tips they receive. The value of non-cash tips, such as tickets, passes or other items of value are also subject to income tax.
  • Include all tips on your return. You must include all tips that you receive during the year on your income tax return. This includes tips you received directly from customers, tips added to credit cards and your share of tips received under a tip-splitting agreement with other employees.
  • Report tips to your employer. If you receive $20 or more in cash tips in any one month, you must report your tips for that month to your employer. Your employer is required to withhold federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes on the reported tips.
  • Keep a daily log of tips. You can use IRS Publication 1244, Employee’s Daily Record of Tips and Report to Employer, to record your tips.